NTU Sets Up Office at Silicon Valley
National Taiwan University reached a new milestone in its efforts to promote innovation and entrepreneurship with the establishment of a satellite office in heart of Silicon Valley, Northern California. The National Taiwan University @ Silicon Valley (NTU@SV) center was officially inaugurated on June 11 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony that attracted the attendance of government appointees, elected officials, NTU alumni, and members from the entrepreneur community. President Pan-Chyr Yang (楊泮池) traveled from Taiwan to personally officiate the event as well as to give a talk on his visions and future plans for the university.
Speaking at the event, President Yang pointed out that NTU@SV is expected to serve as a window for NTU’s new and emerging startup teams to help them strengthen strategic partnerships with academic and research institutes in the United States. The center is also to act as a bridge connecting trans-Pacific Chinese entrepreneurs with Silicon Valley’s spirits of innovation as well as rich venture resources.
NTU@SV is described as a platform aimed at encouraging people “to inspire and be inspired, to collaborate, and to communicate.” As a result, President Yang said that its services would be extended not just to teams from the NTU student, faculty, and alumni community, but also to young entrepreneurs from Taiwan as well as all Chinese communities across the globe. He also expressed his vision to duplicate the center’s model and open more facilities to nurture entrepreneurship across the Pacific.
About National Taiwan University’s Entrepreneurship Programs
- 2012 NTU Entrepreneur Association was formed.
- 2013 NTU Garage, an earliest stage student startup incubator, was established.
- 2014 Taidah Entrepreneur Center began offering programs and classes to mentor young minds.
- 2015 NTU Design School was established thanks to a generous donation from an alumnus.
- 2015 the first HackNTU student hackathon featuring talks, workshops and a competition kicked off.
- 2016 NTU@SV held its grand opening.
National Taiwan University will continue in its long-term efforts to nurture innovation and entrepreneurship on and off campus.