Nine NTU Alumni Elected Academicians of Academia Sinica
The roster of the 2008 academicians for Academia Sinica was announced on July 4th. Of the 19 newly elected academicians, 9 are NTU alumni. They are: Thomas S. Huang, Ralph T. Yang, Yuan Pern Lee, and Paul T. P. Ho (these four are in the division of mathematics and physical science); Jen-Kun Lin, Cheng-Ming Chuong, and Jen Sheen (these three are in the division of life sciences); Chin-Shing Huang and Jin-Chuan Duan (these two are in the division of humanities and social sciences).
Of the nine newly elected academicians mentioned above, 8 of them are NTU alumni. Dr. Paul T. P. Ho is a joint professor of NTU's Department of Physics and Institute of Astronomy, Dr. Jen-Kun Lin and Dr. Chin-Shing Huang are current NTU faculty. All NTU faculty and students are thrilled with the outstanding achievements of these senior schoolmates and wish to express their admirations and congratulations. In the future, hopefully these newly elected academicians can provide assistance and guidance to the pursuit of excellence and the development of their alma mater. The roster of NTU alumni who were newly elected academicians of Academia Sinica is as follows:
Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences(4):
- Thomas S. Huang, William L. Everitt Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, graduated from NTU's Department of Electrical Engineering in 1956
- Ralph T. Yang, Dwight F. Benton Chair Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, graduated from NTU's Department of Chemical Engineering in 1964
- Yuan Pern Lee, Dean, College of Science, National Chiao-tung University, chair professor, Department of Applied Chemistry, National Chiao-tung University. graduated from NTU's Department of Chemistry in 1973.
- Paul T. P. Ho, Academia Sinica Distinguished Research Fellow, ASIAA Director, joint professor of NTU's Department of Physics and Institute of Astronomy
Division of Life Sciences (3):
- Jen-Kun Lin, Professor Emeritus, NTU's College of Medicine, Earned his masters degree from NTU's Institute of Biochemistry in 1961, and graduated from NTU's Department of Pharmacy in 1958
- Cheng-ming Chuong, Professor of Pathology, University of Southern California, graduated from NTU's Department of Medicine in 1978
- Jen Sheen, Professor in Genetics, Harvard Medical School, graduated from NTU's Department of Plant Biology in 1980
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences (2):
- Chin-Shing Huang, Senior Research Fellow, Institute of History and Philology, Academia Sinica, Part-time professor at NTU's Department of History, earned his master's degree from the Institute of History in 1975, and graduated from NTU's Department of History in 1973
- Jin-chuan Duan, Director, Risk Management Institute and visiting professor at Department of Finance and Accounting, National University of Singapore, graduated from NTU's Department of Zoology in 1978